2014 has been a wonderful year. Before ringing in the New Year, I want to take a look back on 2014 and share what made this year so great.
I finished Soulbound in October. Yes, I wrote a book! Sure, it’s only the first draft, but I actually did it. I’m so proud of myself.
I’ll edit it in 2015, but for now it’s with one of my critique partners. Meanwhile, I’m drafting Timekeeper, a young adult high fantasy standalone. I’m 15k into the draft and having so much fun.
My goal was to read 52 books in 2014, but I only managed 35. Still, that’s 14 more than I read in 2013, so I’m happy with the progress. My favourite books for 2014 are:
- The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
- The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (in fact, the whole trilogy)
- Champion by Marie Lu
- The Burning Sky and The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas
Back in June, my lovely Neil proposed—and of course, I said YES! And I cried and cried. Such a beautiful moment.
Since then, I have been planning the wedding. We are getting married at the end of May 2015. The church and reception venue are booked, vendors sorted, and I bought my wedding dress in November. Much left to be done, including all the decorations which we’re making by hand, but we have plenty of time. We’ve opted for a low-key, homespun wedding, with family at the centre of it all. I’m really looking forward to it. I can’t wait to marry my best friend and soul mate.
The Day Job
I started my first ‘big girl’ job as a school librarian in January. It took a few weeks to adjust to working full-time and still find enough time to write, but I made it work. I had to; I didn’t have a choice. I tore the library to pieces and am slowly putting it back together. I am paid to encourage kids to read and fangirl about the books I love. If that wasn’t brilliant enough, I get to run a writing club as well to give back to other young writers. I love my job.
Still, it will always be second to my passion for writing, and as soon as I get a book deal, I am out of there.
Other highlights of 2014:
- We moved to an apartment—and bought out most of IKEA to furnish the place
- My gorgeous niece, Lilah Grace, was born in October
- Said bah-bye to Facebook forever. Best decision ever!
- Went on holiday to Madeira with Neil in August
Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy New Year! All the very best!